Memories

"Strategery." "Lockbox."

The year was 1988. Republican Vice President George H. W. Bush was running against Governor Michael Dukakis of Massachusetts for the highest office in the land. This was the campaign of "Read my lips: no new taxes" and "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

In 1988, I was as strongly in the corner of Michael Dukakis as I've ever been for any candidate since, for one crucial reason. We had the same first name.

I was four years old.

Believe it or not, that's one of my first memories - unlike my wife, who basically remembers every life event since her birth, I have a terrible memory. Yet for some reason, that's always stuck with me; presidential elections are simply fascinating. Growing up, my parents had little interest in politics, so I was free of the unspoken obligation to join the parental political party (for the record, my mom's a Republican and an NRA member, and I think my dad's an independent). When I try to think back on what has shaped my personal political leanings, there are really no compelling factors. I've led toward liberalism as long as I can remember; it's always made more sense to me. One thing's for sure, though: the politics of the presidential election have always been much more compelling to me than local or international politics.

I remember little about the 1992 and 1996 elections. It may be that I supported Bill in '92 out of a desire for revenge on Bush I's victory over my beloved name-sharing candidate, and I vaguely remember liking Ross Perot in 1996, but the first real election for me was 2000.

2000: Bush v. Gore. I was a high school senior when the election took place. One of the first times I became aware of my mom's politics was her horror when I pulled my '92 Ford Taurus into the driveway, proudly sporting a Gore-Lieberman bumper sticker. The Gore campaign was badly run by all accounts, but I will always have a cold, hard place in my heart for Ralph Nader and Katherine Harris. I was never particularly enthusiastic about Gore, but I'm proud to say that I've thought Bush II was a poor choice ever since his entry into the national scene. If you take the Al Gore of 2008 and send him back to 2000, I think he wins handily (interestingly, the exact opposite may be true about John McCain, whom I probably would have crossed party lines to vote for in 2000, had he been nominated). My high school classes were heavily populated by conservative Mormons, so this made for some interesting - though always civil - discussion. I was a great sport, too, as evidenced by this picture. That's me, my old hair, a shirt I still wear, and KWS, by the way.

I vaguely remember being at a football game the night of the election - strange, because if I properly recall, games were on Fridays and the election was held on a Tuesday, so I could be wrong. Wherever I was, I remember instructing my mom before I left the house to call me when the important states were called. I remember jumping for joy when she called me to say Florida had gone for Gore. I remember swearing loudly when she called me back, later, to say that they'd taken Florida out of the Gore category. And finally, I remember the whole hanging chad fiasco, Bush v. Gore in the Supreme Court, and all that mess. Stunningly interesting, but ultimately disappointing. I blame the Democrats for nominating (that incarnation of) Al Gore.

In 2004, I was a Deaniac, a Howard Dean guy through and through, like many of my collegiate colleagues (hehe). I managed to go see him speak and answer questions at a community college during the primary campaign and was convinced by his speech as well as his responses to the questions he took. As you might imagine, Kerry's wins in Iowa and New Hampshire and Edwards' win in South Carolina were bad moments for me. And you better believe I remember the Dean Scream, which basically torpedoed the campaign. Though I doggedly supported Kerry over Bush, I had no enthusiasm for the guy - did anyone? He was the establishment choice over the fresh face. Does that sound familiar?

It should; it's happening again in 2008, except this time the fresh face just might pull it off. While I'll never underestimate the ability of the Democratic party to nominate the wrong candidate, I can't help but be hopeful, even more so than in 2004. Let me reiterate what I've said before: I don't hate Hillary Clinton. But I can't ever picture myself being enthusiastic about her. I'm enthusiastic about Barack Obama. Dems like me, with painful memories of '04 and '00, are cautiously optimistic; but we've been stung before, so we're waiting. Obama looks inevitable - but it's the Democratic party.

Republicans: you picked the wrong guy this time around, if you ask me. Romney was the fresh face, the one who could have engendered enthusiasm given the chance. McCain is Bush Redux, and he's not yet truly faced that accusation from his Republican opponents. The Democratic nominee will put this sticker on his forehead and never let him take it off, and he'll lose - I think.

In English class, I learned to close with a call to action, so here goes: what are your strongest memories of politics? What shaped your own views? And now, if I remember correctly, I'm supposed to have some conclusive statement, or something, but I've got nothin', so here's a vid.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what, Mike - My first political memory was from the 1987 Iran-Contra scandal. I remember thinking Oliver North looked cool in his military get-up, and that Admiral Poindexter had a dorky name and should change it. I was 6. That's it. Honestly, most of my life was spent avoiding any and all politics - I think I fell into the same trap that MANY LDS kids fell into - that is, I'm what my parents are, cause they know best. Thus, I hated Ross Perot everytime he ran, Thought Bill Clinton was immoral, and planned on moving to Canada when he was elected the second time, because I heard my dad say something like that....Lets see - Al Gore looked silly and kind of dumb....bla-bla-bla-joined young Republicans...cause my girlfriend was in it.

Even in 2000, I was on a Mission in Pennsylvania and still hoped that GW would win. I was sure happy after 9-11. I really never developed my own political opinions that were my own until probably 2004 - so I'm definately a late comer - I was completely apathetic about both candidates, so I didn't vote - And I've regretted it ever since. In fact, I think that election might have been the trigger that set of my political thinking. I decided to abandon all preconcieved ideas and examine each issue clearly, fairly, and impartially - and that is how I've landed where I am today. The other thing that has really influenced my political outlook was my Religious History Major in College - It helped me look at stuff from ther people's points of view - - which, I guess, engendered a liberal viewpoint in me. So, I guess I'm pretty young on the political scene.

KWS said...

Hmm...forgot about that picture's existence! I am sorry to hear that your hair is being referred to in the past tense. I also still wear that shirt. Go Tigger!

My earliest political memory is from Sunday School. I was 10 or 11 and our primary was preparing for a sacrament meeting program for Easter or something. We were practicing the song "Hum Your Favorite Hymn," and I remember the primary music director asking us about a specific line we were singing:

"If on occasion you have found
Your language is in question,
Or ugly thoughts come to your mind,
Then here’s a good suggestion
Just hum your favorite hymn..."

"What are some of the ugly thoughts that can come to our minds, boys and girls?"

I raised my hand and when called upon loudly proclaimed "Hillary Clinton's health care plan!" The music director, a registered nurse, thought it was the best thing in the entire world. I didn't learn until years later why exactly I don't care for the plan. True story.

My dad listened to Rush on the radio for many years, and to be honest most of my political "convictions" were what happened to be in vogue with the white, conservative, Mormon community in which I lived. Looking back, I have an enormous amount of respect for Mike and other dissenting voices of the day. His respectful defense of his positions and the civility with which he dealt with me and my kind is utterly unbelievable.

I have told this to Mike in private, but I will say again that with travel outside of Mesa and education and the like, I have softened quite a bit from my conservative pedigree since then. (See my positions on immigration and abortion, for example.) During the heyday of the 2004 election season, with Swift Boats and Dan Rather and Farenheit 911, etc., my sentiments began to swing heavily away from strict partisanship and extremism on both ends of the political spectrum. I became deeply disillusioned with Karl Rove's base-shoring strategy. I registered as an independent. And here I am today.

My political journey is part expanded horizons and part frustration with the party claiming to represent my values. I echo the sentiments of Michael Warren Baser, who said to me, "I didn't leave the party, the party left me." I am still with Republicans on many issues. But I have to break from the party line when I see wide departures from conservative principles, especially fiscal responsibility in government and the violation of human and constitutional rights. I cannot excuse the flagrant disregard in which the Republican Party apparently holds these principles.

The final great influence that I will mention is education. I acknowledge up front that I was not exposed to many Marxists or other economists opposed to free market economics (or at least not any that were skilled at defending those tenets). But I tell you that the more economically minded I have become, the more convinced I have been that the United States must have a consistent fiscal and monetary approach (which we do, thanks to Alan Greenspan), and that freer trade is a good thing overall for the U.S. economy. (Insert a hundred caveats and qualifiers about more equal distribution of the benefits from trade liberalization.) I only wish there was even a single remaining candidate who has half a sense of how to manage the economy. This is, sadly, not the case.

That's what I've got for you, Mike. TTFN, y'all.

big.bald.dave said...

First off, that Saturday Night Live parody of the Gore v. Bush debates was classic - easily one of the 5 best SNL skits ever.

My political awakening occurred during high school. My parents (and essentially the rest of my immediate and extended family) are all staunch Conservatives. I, of course, had to be different. I figured I was a Republican like my parents until I took a quiz as a 16-year-old senior in my high school Government class that put me squarely to the left of center. I can't say I was really surprised; I was a stupid angry teenager, and this gave me one more reason to disagree with my parents. :)

But the results of that little quiz, and the subsequent year I spent alongside 7 other like-minded students (none of them LDS, IIRC) debating the 25 or so conservatives in the class, caused me to thoroughly examine my own beliefs and principles. Certainly my viewpoints on certain issues have changed over the years (on many moving towards the center), but I still feel that the government's role should primary be to help those that cannot help themselves (children, the poor, the elderly, big oil [wink]). And that, of course, is why I usually vote for the Democrat.

I supported and voted for Gore in the 2000 election; I was crushed when he lost. Same story with Kerry in 2004, but I was even more crushed because I was 100% sure Bush was a trainwreck at that point, and I had volunteered for the Kerry campaign. Both Gore and Kerry were tremendously flawed candidates, though I'm still shocked that we ("we" in the collective sense of course; I had nothing to do with it) elected George W. Freaking Bush to a second term. Why do/did conservatives like this guy? I may never understand...

I'm glad we have two very capable and interesting Democratic candidates this time around. I think either will beat McCain, but Obama will destroy him. I hope to finally be able to vote for a winner!

To close, I'll share something I recently read on a t-shirt:

Barack Obama: Half Honky, All Donkey.

LOL...

Mark Dixon said...

You all are such babes in the woods! My first recollection of a political race was in 1964, when Barry Goldwater lost in a landslide to Lyndon Johnson. My best friend's family was staunchly on the Democrat side while my family was staunchly on the Republican side. The two bumper stickers I remember are: "AUH2O" and "Bury Goldwater". My dad thought the latter comment was a travesty because Nikita Kruschev had said he would "Bury" America.

Barry lost that election, but his legacy lives on: AUH2O

I'm still hoping in my heart of hearts that Dave will return to his political roots. :)

Stephanie said...

I am Amy's sister-in-law. I agree with very little that you post, Mike (and Rick, too), but I think you are right on in your assessment of the Republicans choosing the wrong guy. McCain is Bush reincarnated, and the Republicans really shot themselves in the foot on this one. I will still hold my nose and vote for him because I don't like Obama's liberal policies, but if I had to put money down, I would put it on Obama winning the whole thing (unless Hillary pulls a dishonest, back-door political deal and somehow wins the Democrat nomination - then I think McCain would win).

Unknown said...

Hey Stephanie, I'm glad you're here. :) You can place all the blame for the Romney not-mination squarely on the shoulders of one man: Mike Huckabee. Of course, Huckabee supporters (they exist, believe it or not - but you know that, you live in Texas) would say it's the other way around. Basically, they drew from a similar support base, split votes and elevated Bush Jr. Jr. ... er, McCain.

Stephanie said...

Mike, glad to be here. Amazingly, I agree with you again. :) Mike Huckabee should have gotten out of the way before Super Tuesday (although he did surprisingly well). His support is strong in the south. I think it is interesting to look at a map of the U.S. and see how the states voted in the Republican Primaries. For the most part, the coasts went for McCain, the south went for Huckabee, and the heartland went for Romney. But, overall Huckabee and Romney split the conservative vote and left us with McCain - too liberal for conservatives and too conservative for liberals. I am fairly new to this whole politics thing (the first presidential election I was really into was in 2000 when I stayed up all night waiting to see who would win), but it seems to me that situations like this (when the person who wins isn't necessarily the person who everyone wants) is more the norm than the exception. I think Obama's best defense is exactly what you said: paint McCain as the new Bush, and McCain's best defense will be to point out Obama's liberal policies.

Aileena said...

I still remember cutting out a picutre of a nancy reagan doll out of a magazine and thinking it must be so elegant to be a first lady. I was around 6 or 7. She always wore pearls.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I ripped the Gore sticker off your car, Mike, but I'm still glad I did.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Hahahaha - Hi Mom! :)