Hillary, Oh Hillary

Last night I heard on the news that Hillary was going to be making an announcement within the hour, conceding to Obama and declaring her willingness to be VP


I was surprised! I think that she has worked really hard to get as far as she has gotten. She's been planning this move to the White House for many years, despite her denials in the past of having presidential intention (c'mon, we all knew 4 years ago that she was waiting to run even though she said she wasn't interested). She has campaigned and plotted and planned with the best of them. What a huge slap in the face for her to have Obama come out of nowhere and pull the rug out from under her.

To set the record straight, I am not too impressed with Obama and I don't like Hillary as a general rule. However, I genuinely felt bad for her last night. After all her conniving pains to get the democratic nomination...thats got to be rough.

Well, sure enough, the news casters were putting their own spin on things because she didn't announce her withdrawal from the presidential race. And she didn't announce that she wanted to be Obama's VP.

Personally I think the election is a lot more fascinating with the two of them going head-to-head. If she were to simply drop out for the sake of being VP it wouldn't be as newsworthy because everyone would just assume that it was a done deal.

Although a black president and female vice president would certainly get the historians ready to start writing as soon as they were sworn in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read this on Politico: "Members of Congress who support Clinton are weighing a joint letter to Senator Barack Obama pressing him to put Clinton on the ticket, a congressional aide confirmed. Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz of Florida has suggested the letter, which would aim to represent the voices of female members of congress and those from swing states and key demographic groups."

In how many ways is that just dumb?

1. It doesn't necessarily require a woman on the ticket to represent women's interests. The right kind of man could do that better than the wrong kind of woman.

2. We're talking about the vice president, who normally (Dick Cheney being an exception) doesn't wield a lot of power. Hillary will probably have more power to represent women's interests as a senator than as a VP. (I'm guessing the real angle here is Hillary thinking of the VP slot as a launching pad for a presidential run in 2012 or 2016.)

3. Even if you can get past 1. and 2., and still feel the ticket should have a woman on it, why would it have to be Hillary? There are plenty of other accomplished women out there, and not just in politics. Obama might be better off politically choosing a savvy female businesswoman or Congresswoman from a key swing state. (I doubt Obama can win Arizona, but still--how about Janet Napolitano?)

Here's hoping Hillary herself puts the kibosh on this joint letter business, and that she bows out gracefully.

--David

Stephanie said...

I don't know if I feel bad for Hillary, but I do feel bad for myself. I think the odds are that Obama will win this fall.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is old news yet or not, as I haven't watched the news in 48 hrs. But I certianly hope that there is an Obama/Clinton Ticket. For everyone - I think it would be good - I certianly didn't want her as President, but as Vice President, I think she could do alot of Good. I'm all for it.