Acceptance

Race and ethnicity are funny things. Not funny in the comical sense, of course.

Some people who refer to themselves are "mixies" might identify with their father's race, or their mother's race but not both. Other people refuse to check the box stating Caucasian, pacific-islander, Asian, Native American, whathaveyou because they say that they are not simply one race and there isn't a box available to check Euro-Caucasian-Asian-Caribbean-African-American.

Personally, I don't blame them.

I think it is interesting how certain races are stereotyped to the point of exhaustion, yet nothing is really being done to end this. For example, if you're a black american there is a huge chance that people will look at you and assume you're better at basketball than a white kid the same age. Obviously there are enough people who happen to be African American or Caribbean American who are extremely talented at basketball to see where this stereotype comes from. But every single kid? C'mon. And yet many people make this common assumption. Conversely, there are a lot of black Americans who see a black man make a successful life doing business or law and they assume that this person has sold out to White Culture. What??

On a related note, did you know that Jin and Sun's relationship in LOST is the first time that an Asian couple's relationship has been explored on American television and the show has been popular? Why is this? Aren't Asians an integral part of American community? Why aren't there more television shows with Asian families starring as the core subject? I was talking to one of my good friends who happens to be American Chinese, and we were talking about this subject. Her entire attitude caught me by surprise. I said something about how I thought it would be interesting to see all the Asian innuendos on tv and how it would be interesting to see an Asian become prominent in politics, say President or VP someday. She said "Are you kidding me? There is no way there will ever be an Asian president of America." I asked why not. She said "Asians might be good at music and math and some are good at business, but no one would take an Asian politician seriously. No one would vote for him. Asians wouldn't vote for him. Look around---how many Asians do you see in politics right now? How many Asian sitcoms are there? There is usually one Asian and one Latino to make all the white and black people look politically correct."

Also, I get tired of people being scared of Muslims and anyone from the middle east. One of my favorite college professors here in California is Iranian, and he is awesome. Such a cute old man. Yet he even admitted to me at the end of the semester that he doesn't like to tell people he is Iranian until he knows they won't judge him because after 9/11 he feels like anyone who is Persian gets evil looks from fellow Americans. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but this is wrong. I've met so many people from Turkey, Iran, and Iraq who all happen to be Muslim and they are some of the best people I know. And, something else to consider, there is a reason why so many people left the Middle East when the ruling regimes changed hands 30-40 years ago. Do your homework before you call names, throw things, and make life generally difficult for another human being.

Now obviously we don't live in a perfect world yet, but I do think that a lot of strides in the right direction have been taken, especially in the last fifty years. The fact that our nation is seriously considering electing someone who identifies as black is a good indicator of this. But we still have a ways to go.

This is America. Discrimination, and reverse discrimination, are things we need to continue to rise above. Men are created equal, so in my mind that tells me that as long as someone is a hard worker and doesn't give up they should be able to accomplish anything, including get elected as a prominent politician.

So, please. Just because someone looks a certain way, or has a certain cultural heritage, don't judge. Everyone is an individual. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses, and I believe that if you are willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt you are enabling them to reach more potential simply by acknowledging it is a possibility.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, "race and ethnicity are funny things." Maybe in the future, when we're all filling out census forms printed by the Kingdom of God, we'll have different boxes to check: Nephite, Lamanite, Seed of Cain.... (OK, sorry. I just couldn't resist.)

Seriously, Amy, your post suggests just how far the Church has come from the early racial obsessions recorded in it scriptures. Great post.

The Wizzle said...

This may be the most interesting facet of Obama's campaign for me - not even that he's "Black", but that he is of mixed heritage and self-identifies as Black. It really, really is complicated, and I find it fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Aileena and I have talked alot about permenantly relocating to either Japan or Korea. But we won't do it, and thereis basically one reason why - we love the diversity that America offers. Here (in Asia) it is nice to be a minority - I suggest everyone try it sometime. Yesterday morning i went running to this beautiful spot. When I got there, thee was three old Korean Men there already and you should have seen the faces they gave me. I may as well have peed on their wive's graves. It is so interesting to be discriminated against in little ways here, and it makes me keenly aware of ways in which I may have discriminated against others whithout even realizing it in the states. But the fact that there are MANY white black americans and asian americans and pacific Americans and Middle Eastern Americans and European Americnas and Latin American Americans....I love that - I love that people are able to come to our country and, more or less, integrate into our society - to become part of America. That is something that Asia is particularly lacking.

I noticed you mentioned Reverse Discrimination, Amy. While I won't say that doesn't exist (it does) I will say that it seriously is only a problem where the white person is a minority - for example - in inner-city philidelphia, there is alot of reverse discrimination.

I wish we could all exist where race simply isn't a factor. - No "ites" among them - thanks, david for the Joke to remind us where we have come from and how far we have come - I think it's important to remember.

big.bald.dave said...

Very nice post, Amy. While American society has certainly come a long way with regards to racial attitudes, we still have a long way to go. The cover of this week's issue of New Yorker is a not-so-subtle (and brilliant, IMO) reminder that even in Presidential politics, race-baiting and fear-mongering are still very much part of the game.

In West Virginia exit-polling the day of the Democratic primary, a full 20% of voters indicated that race was a factor in their vote, and those voters broke 84%-10% for Clinton. While 84% is the shocking number, the 10% on Obama's side is potentially just as problematic. Thankfully, West Virginia is not representative of America as a whole, but it shows there is still much work to be done. :)

Amy said...

Thanks guys! Wow, I put a post up that the liberals liked. I think this is a momentous day in PoliticaLDS history. :P

Big Daddy B said...

Interesting post Amy. I don't see that our country is moving in the right direction with respect to race relations and I see it differently than you do. More and more people focus on their hyphenated identities to the detriment of the melting pot societal ideal on which the country was founded. This fact was no more clear to me than when the former governor of NJ identified himself as a "Gay-American".

I have heard more and more people refer to Muslims as Muslim-Americans. And the hyphenations go on and on. Doesn't it seem that people who promote such placards of identity wish to be viewed NOT as individuals but as members of a specific group that is more subdivided than simply American.

Using this hyphenation focuses on one's fealty to a specialized group. This is particularly problematic when visible members of the hyphenation are divisive or worse (e.g., Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Yassir Arafat, Osama bin Laden, etc.). To be clear I am not equating that group of people but I am making the point that when you identify yourself with a group you identify yourself with the whole group.

Specific hyphenations serve only to identify race and accomplish the opposite of uniting Americans - it pits them against each other as each group promotes its own agenda rather than simply an American agenda.

I can see the value in taking pride in one's religion or culture (though I don't understand pride in one's birth color). But we have somehow made the mistake of treating assimilation in America as though it is a vice rather than an important component of national identity. There is a unique American culture that has been systematically denigrated and undermined. Many see American culture and identity as the problem with the world even though America is responsible for the global march of democracy.

Your observations about Lost were very interesting to me. When I watched Lost I didn't find the Asian couple you referenced interesting because they were Asian. I found them interesting and they happened to be Asian which is probably an accurate description of how you saw it. Excellent acting and a compelling back story for the couple fascinated me and the fact that they were Asian was a background issue. The minor genetic differences that the couple has result in an insignificant difference in physical appearance. The idea of promoting a sit-com or television show or presidential candidate because of some accident of birth is elevating the wrong characteristics and further divides us.

Should we not elevate skill, experience, inherent talent and character regardless of the specific genetic markers that someone had no choice in. This is precisely the problem with considering any Obama candidacy. He is promoted by people who want to see someone of color as president. What is actually being said when we promote such an idea. Is my son less qualified than Obama's daughter because he was born with chromosomes that make his skin lighter in color? Again, if Obama was fully Caucasian instead of half, we would not give him any attention. Sadly, many of his supporters state this is the reason for supporting him. For some an accident of his birth outweighs his lack of skill and despite the fact that many of his views are not just contrary to the teachings of the church but are abhorrent practices.

Once upon a time we treated others differently because of the color of their skin. We used to decry that practice because it hurt everyone in our society. For some reason, many have picked it up again and the irony appears to be lost on them.

Amy said...

JAB, I see your point. I remember the first time I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I found it interesting that the teacher wrote down everyone's nationality next to their name....but the nationalities were German, Italian, English, Jewish (ok, please don't comment about Jewish not technically being a nationality anyone---I didn't write the book) Polish, etc. Nationalities which are not considered "minority" in this day and age. Now people group Euro-anything in one lump and other more recent immigrant groups individually.

Actually, I find all the characters on LOST interesting, and I didn't even notice Jin & Sun sticking out until I read an article about the show, which explained why the producers taking a gamble on having Jin & Sun be major characters. Only then did I consciously realize "oh yeah, I guess I haven't seen any other asian couples highlighted on television." The fact that the producers had to question whether or not to have Jin & Sun be Asian, and if so be main characters shows how narrow Hollywood can be in my mind. I hope this opens the door for more people to be cast and given opportunities based on talent and not because of their name or face shape, which I believe is your concern.

Anonymous said...

JAB, it is an interesting point, and one I'm inclined to agree with to an extent. However, at the end, you brought it back to Obama and reverse discrimination or anti-affirmative action, and I don't agree that this is what the Obama issue is about. The guy is qualified, okay? I didn't vote for him in the promaries because he was black - it was because he was hip, okay? He plays to the right crowd and comes of hip and cool and capable - and so people like him - not because we're throwing the poor black guy a bone. that is not what is going on. That being said, he is a politician, and probably can't be trusted anyhow. So, Obama isn't the issue. Affirmative action isn't the issue either (one of the few liberal agendas that I happen to be against, for the reasons that you suggested, JAB). The issue is, are we becoming better as a country at integrating the different races, nationalities, religious viewpoints, etc. into accepted, respectable american society - and I firmly believe the answer is yes.

Anonymous said...

Jab, you might consider some other possibilities. When you write that "the hyphenations go on and on," and that they "serve only to identify race and accomplish the opposite of uniting Americans," I'm not so sure I agree.

At one time (and to a certain extent still today), the "Americanness" of members of various racial and ethnic groups has been questioned by the dominant culture. Under such circumstances, attaching "-American" after the ethnic term seems like an effort to UNITE oneself with the America.

At a time when a lot of bigots were in the habit of saying (to give just one example) "You ain't really an American, you're an Eye-talian," one can imagine the Italian saying, "I am too an American: an Italian-American."

The whole question is whether the use of hyphenated ethnic terms expresses unity or separatism. You're saying it expresses separatism and undermines unity. I'm saying it depends. To the degree that the Americanness of the group is still suspect, then the hyphenated term works toward unity, reminding the bigot that (say) the Arab-American is not just Arab but also American. I think you need to hear what comes after the hyphen as well as what comes before it. Try to hear not just AFRICAN-American but also African-AMERICAN.

--David

Amy said...

ok, small bone to pick:

Does anyone else here watch The Mole? I love that show. Well, there is one girl left and on this week's episode she was talking about people she trusts on the show and she full on made these comments: "I will always choose Clay as a person to trust simply for the reason that he is the only other black person on this show. We people. I have to choose my brother."

That irritates me to no end. If it was a white person saying that about the only other white person on the show it would be called racist on every front page magazine at the grocery store checkout. Ugh. Comments like that show how far we as a country still have to go with combating racism.

Its a television show. Someone's skin color should have nothing to do with whether you trust them or not. Ridiculous.

Stephanie said...

I agree.