The Mess We're In

So, today is Black Friday. What does that mean? Hordes and hordes of people stomping all over each other to save a few dollars (and in the interest of full disclosure, I sent my husband to Walmart this morning to buy clothes for my kids that they need for winter: jeans, pajamas, coats. Most all of it was gone at 5:15 when he got there. We ended up with a couple of items that turned out to be so cheap in quality I will likely take them back). Anyways . . .

Apparently people are cutting back on their holiday spending due to the poor state of the economy. Here are a few examples:

Even for the growing number of parents who were limiting their gift buying to just their children this year, financial troubles were forcing them to be stingy.

"I have never slept here before to save a few bucks, but with the economy so bad I thought that even a few dollars helps," said Analita Garcia of Falls Church, Va., who arrived at a local Best Buy store at 7 a.m. Thursday with 10 family members. She bought a 32-inch LCD TV for $400, slashed from $500, along with an iPod and several DVDs.

"This year a lot of people I know won't be getting Christmas presents. I have to pay the rent and bills, and I have two little ones at home to think of," Garcia added.

Oh, wow. That is rough. I am really feeling for this poor woman who has rent and bills to pay and two little ones. All she can afford is a $400 t.v. and an ipod. *sniff*

Let's take a look at another tragic story.


Inside, Kira Carinci, 33, a teacher from Cicero, N.Y., searched for the $80 "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock" video game and guitar controller bundle for her son but said she is more concerned about money than she was last holiday season. She said she had set aside a certain amount for Christmas spending.

"I don't usually save, so this year is a little different," she said.
Wow, actually needing to save money. What a concept! Last but not least:
Joyce and Kevin Kirk of Georgetown in southwest Ohio, who arrived at Kohl's at Eastgate Mall in suburban Cincinnati, at 4 a.m Friday, bought toys for the baby and clothing for her older children, mostly at 50 percent to 60 percent off.

She said they decided to focus more on the kids this year and cut down on gifts for other people. Her husband, a construction worker, wasn't getting enough work at his company and recently switched to another company.

"We just can't do as much this year because of the economy," said Joyce Kirk, who aims to cut her holiday budget to $1,000. She usually spent $3,000 to $4,000 on Christmas gifts

Oh, this is TERRIBLE. The shock of it all. Only being able to spend $1000 on Christmas gifts for your children. HOW WILL WE SURVIVE?!?!

Okay, obviously I am being facetious, but stories like this make me want to THROW UP. What an over-privileged, spoiled, fat, greedy nation we are. A failing economy means only $1000 to spend on the kids? If only other countries (like, perhaps, Haiti, where children are starving to death) had the struggles we have. If a $400 t.v. and an ipod is "cutting back" - if people used to spend $4000 on Christmas and didn't save money, well, no wonder we are in the mess we are in! And to top it all off, a Walmart worker in New York was stampeded to death in the melee - just a martyr to the cause, I suppose. (Okay, I can't believe I wrote that last sentence. What a sickening thing to happen. What a sick, sick world when someone dies because of a bunch of greedy people wanting to shop for deals.)

In October Conference, Elder L. Tom Perry spoke on simplifying our lives. He says there are "spiritual benefits" to a simplified lifestyle and that man only really needs four things: food, clothing, shelter, and fuel. Elder D. Todd Christofferson spoke of building up Zion and said:

We might ask ourselves, living as many of us do in societies that worship possessions and pleasures, whether we are remaining aloof from covetousness and the lust to acquire more and more of this world's goods. Materialism is just one more manifestation of the idolatry and pride that characterize Babylon. Perhaps we can learn to be content with what is sufficient for our needs.
And what are our needs? Elder Christofferson quotes 1 Timothy 6:7-8
We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

This Thanksgiving weekend, I pray that we can all be grateful for our many, many blessings and recognize the great responsibilities associated with those blessings. I pray that we will be wise during these difficult economic times to use our resources to provide for the needs of our families and to help those around us who are less fortunate. I pray that the adversity we face as a nation can be a blessing if it humbles us to turn to God for relief. Amen.


6 comments:

The Faithful Dissident said...

I'm a Scrooge, I admit it. I love giving a gift to someone that actually means something, or if I know that they'll really appreciate it. But I probably don't spend more than 100 USD on Christmas gifts, which is more like 50 bucks since everything is about twice as expensive here. People always ask me what my husband got me for Christmas. "Nothing," I say, "the same thing I got him." LOL. We'll usually donate money to the Humane Society and become "sponsors" for some homeless cats, but if we buy a gift for each other it'll be pretty small. Last year I gave out Kiva gift certificates as presents and plan on doing it this year for some family members. But if I know of a friend or family in need, I'll go all out and get them something that I know they'll really appreciate. That's when gift giving is really FUN!!

Here is a story that will make you want to throw up again, Stephanie.

elaine said...

I do agree, and I am glad someone finally said it. Look around. Look at what we have, the size of our houses, the cars we drive. Yes, we have had some horrible shocks. And yes, I know I will not win any political office by suggesting I agree we are all a bunch of spoiled brats. But I do agree. Compare our standard of living to 1929, or 1949, or even 1979 and we are RICH, almost all of us.
Elaine from Spokane

The Wizzle said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Here's something else you may like to take a look at, Stephanie. It's sort of a buy-nothing campaign for the holidays, which I am not following, but it definitely warmed my heart a little.

http://www.newdream.org/holiday/index.php

We ourselves are having a smaller Christmas this year than we have in years past, but I count us extremely fortunate. It's not sad or deprived to live within your means - it is liberating, and smart!

Anonymous said...

Gee, consumerism is fraying the moral fabric of America's families? We can't let anything do that! Ban holiday shopping! J.C. Penney is a threat to our children! Time for a constitutional amendment!

Seriously, I'm with you 100 percent on this one, Stephanie. Well, not the part about "building up Zion," but certainly the part about cutting back and simplifying lives. In addition to Perry and Christofferson you could have cited Thoreau. Or the Hebrew Bible. The idea that we should be happy with mere life itself because "We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out" is older than Timothy (see Ecclesiastes 5:15 and Job 1:21).

Timothy used the "naked as they came" phrase to say that if Christians "have food and clothing, they will be content with these." Ecclesiastes used it centuries earlier to describe rich people who gain nothing from all their work and scheming (a rebuke to the modern Protestant work ethic?). Job used it to rationalize the basic justice of God's killing off his children, the idea being that God cannot be condemned for taking from us those things that he gave to us. Not for nothing are Job and Ecclesiastes noted for questioning the conventional wisdom of the Book of Proverbs, which I think is quite appropriate given that Christofferson is asking us to question the conventional wisdom of consumerism.

Anyway, to get a sense of the real tragedy of economic recession check out this article, Rich Cut Back on Payments to Mistresses, in the Wall Street Journal.

--David

Alice said...

I really appreciate this post. I'm cutting back a little on christmas (though I never spent anywhere near $4000, or even $1000), and I'm giving donations through heifer international to those who will appreciate it.

I think my generation has lived such cushy lives, that we have no idea what it means to struggle. We worry about whether our dish towels match our kitchen decor, not about what we'll feed our children.

Thanks for the post!

Coy said...

This post had me laughing out loud. Loved it, Thanks Stephanie.
lol