(some) things are getting interesting

After Edwards' terrible showing in Nevada today (4%), the Democratic primary battle appears to be a two-contender race (sorry, Kucinich). Obama v. Clinton should wrap itself up nicely by Super Tuesday. Yawwwwn. The real excitement is in the wide-open Republican race.

Today Mitt Romney won Nevada and John McCain won South Carolina. There are really four viable candidates remaining to the Republicans, if you include Mike Huckabee, who has a win in Iowa and a strong second-place showing today in SC, and Rudy Giuliani, who has pinned all his hopes on a win in Florida. Florida is winner-take-all, and a Rudy win would put him right back in contention, even though he's been totally invisible up to this point. Notice I don't list Fred Thompson, who needed to win in South Carolina (he placed 3rd), or Ron Paul.

Let's look at Romney's Nevada win. Mitt won the state with 50% of the vote, followed by Paul and McCain with 14 and 13 percent, respectively. Entrance polling at CNN show that a quarter of today's voters were LDS, and 95% of them voted for Romney; incredible! This partially explains why he only came in fourth in South Carolina. I think the Mormon bump is going to be a major factor for Mitt on Super Tuesday, and I expect him to handily win Utah, Arizona, and compete strongly in California.

Romney is the candidate who best exemplifies the conservative core values (at least he does today), but he's got this little problem: Fred Thompson. McCain took South Carolina with 33% today, Mitt had 15%... and Thompson had 16%. Thompson has the strongest conservative credentials, and his voters, I would guess, will swing largely to Mitt when he drops out. I don't think the Mormonism is a real problem. The percentage of people who wouldn't vote for him because he's LDS are largely evangelical Christians, and they've got their guy in Huckabee. Huckabee is totally unelectable; he's a nutjob. McCain and Thompson are old friends; Thompson endorsed McCain in 2000, even though Bush was more conservative. Keep in mind that John McCain has been preparing for this for eight years. I think the Thompson candidacy is, in part, a ploy on McCain's part to divide up the more conservative contingent of the Republican party. South Carolina is MAJORLY conservative, and for McCain to win there... it's interesting. Think Perot elevating Bill Clinton over Bush Classic. I would not be surprised one bit to see Thompson get a nice cushy Cabinet post in a McCain presidency - or even act as running mate. As VP he'd legitimize the McCain candidacy in the eyes of the hardcore conservatives, who really can't stand McCain for some of his perceived nonconservative positions -- illegal immigration, campaign finance reform, etc. The drawing card on McCain is that's he's electable - he appeals to moderates and some Democrats. I think Romney's more electable than people think, though. Moderates and Democrats are not going to pass on him because he's LDS, and those who would are still going to vote for him before they vote for Hillary!

Forget Huckabee, if he couldn't pull out South Carolina, he's dead in the water. Giuliani's strategy of ignoring all these early primaries just seems stupid to me. I don't see him winning Florida, and that'll be that. That's my opinion; others will tell you differently. One thing's likely: there will still be four viable candidates for the twenty or so primaries of Feb. 5, and that's just fascinating.

Fortunately, I think Clinton or Obama will beat any of them. :)

6 comments:

Joel said...

You really think Romney EASILY over McCain in AZ? I don't know... I agree with just about everything else, including the eventual Democratic president. Unless he or she screws it up, which is always a possibility!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Joel there, Mike - I'd actually be surprised if Romeny won in AZ - Mormons aside - however, Either way, though (again agreeing) I think that the reason for the division among the Republican is the same reason for that NOT being a problem among the Democrats. America is showing that they don't want a rich WASP in the white house.

The Wizzle said...

Yeah, I don't know if McCain could win Arizona. His immigration stance is apparently pretty unpopular, although I'd think the people of this state would be grateful he at least took a stand and really made a push to get something done...

And I'm not at all convinced that we'll have a Democratic president next! The way the media and voters seem to be perfectly willing to throw out a candidate over one little faux pas (Howard Dean's laugh? Anyone? Anyone?) if any of the candidates says or does anything off-putting in close enough proximity to the election then that could be Game Over.

I am also finding the Republican race much more interesting. On the Democratic side, you basically had 3 candidates (and now you have two) with Variations on a Theme policies, amounting basically to a personality contest.

Anonymous said...

I think Romney has great prospects among true conservatives. Whether there is a majority in AZ who don't allow themselves to be distracted by media bias is my question (i.e. flip-flop misconceptions, religious intolerance, and McCain-a-topia.) McCain, the medias golden child, did himself a dis-service by running and letting conservatives see his true colors (blue.) Fred Thompson would be ideal, he's solid but was late getting on the trail and has suffered exposure. And Huckubee, well I don't think anyone cares, Juliani can step in for him.

Amy said...

so what would be more interesting, a white man and black woman in the white house (Romney, Pres and Rice VP) or a white woman and black man in the white house (Clinton, Pres and Obama VP)???


Personally I am just sick of most of the candidates, republican and democrat, because of their history within Washington. I don't want someone with favors to pay back and personal agendas. Which is why I like Romney. I like the fact that he said he wouldn't take a salary if elected so the taxpayer's $$ could go into other venues. And I like the fact that he has a golden track record in doing turnarounds for business. Because that is what government really is: a big fat business. How many other candidates can say they really have business sense (and I'm talking Forbes or Fortune 500, not simply having a name by OWNER while employeeing a manager and CPA to do the dirty work)

And people who are hysterical at Romney flip-flopping on abortion have probably never looked at the back story. If I had an aunt die from an illegal abortion I'd be pro-choice too. And if I had to decide whether human cloning should be legitimate I'd take a long look at the effects of certain laws and how they are manipulated as well.

The Wizzle said...

I'm not worried about Romney's current "stance" on abortion, which differs from my own on paper. He's pro-choice, let's face it, and if he has to say he's pro-life to be elected as a Republican then I surely don't think he's going to repeal Roe V Wade or anything because it's lip service. He is my choice at this point of the Republican candidates, basically because if nothing else I do think he knows how to run a business (could have given George W. a few lessons!)