My Favorite Government Woman

I just wanted to take a moment and focus on a woman who I personally think has made a positive impact on our nation, and maybe more importantly, our world. I really respect her. Some people have asked her if she will ever run for President, or would like to be McCain's running mate. She always responds that she is not interested in any political office that would require voting to get elected. That makes me respect her even more because I think it shows how she truly has a lack of desire for power, that what she does, she does because she believes it really will make a difference and make the world a better, happier place to live. Here are some random facts that you may or may not have known about my favorite government woman:


Condoleeza Rice is the first black woman to serve as Secretary of State. I love that!

She used to be a political science professor at Stanford.

Condoleeza also pioneered a new movement called Transformational Democracy: basically a movement to revive the role and respect and constructive participation of American diplomats serving.

She speaks 5 languages.

She served as the Soviet and East European Affairs Advisor during the dissolution of the Soviet Union and German reunification. (under George H. W. Bush)


Condoleeza grew up in segregated Birmingham, Alabama....one of her girlfriends lost her life in a church bombing. Of that incident she stated "I remember the bombing of that Sunday School at 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham in 1963. I did not see it happen, but I heard it happen, and I felt it happen, just a few blocks away at my father’s church. It is a sound that I will never forget, that will forever reverberate in my ears. That bomb took the lives of four young girls, including my friend and playmate, Denise McNair. The crime was calculated to suck the hope out of young lives, bury their aspirations. But those fears were not propelled forward, those terrorists failed." – Condoleezza Rice, Commencement 2004, Vanderbilt University, May 13, 2004

As Stanford's Provost, Rice was responsible for managing the university's multi-billion dollar budget. The school at that time was running a deficit of $20 million. When Rice took office, she promised that the budget deficit would be balanced within "two years." Coit Blacker, Stanford's deputy director of the Institute for International Studies, said there "was a sort of conventional wisdom that said it couldn't be done ... that [the deficit] was structural, that we just had to live with it." Two years later, Rice announced that the deficit had been eliminated and the university was holding a record surplus of over $14.5 million.

Rice drew protests when, as provost, she departed from the practice of applying affirmative action to tenure decisions and unsuccessfully sought to consolidate the university's ethnic community centers. (In other words, she recognized everything that is wrong with the country's obsession with being 'politically correct' and got criticized for suggesting that people ought to be rewarded on merit rather than ethnic/demographic descriptions.)

She has promoted peace talks between Palestine and Israel for years.

Condoleeza does not want the government to force its views on abortions on citizens, one way or the other. But she has said she is against late-term abortion.

Racial slurs have been made about her repeatedly, yet it is never a "big" enough deal in the media for public apologies to be made. For example: radio host John Sylvester called her "Aunt Jemima" and a "black trophy" of the Bush Administration. Cartoons by liberal Pat Oliphant portrayed her as President Bush's thick-lipped parrot. Nationally-syndicated commentator Ted Rall referred to Secretary Rice as President Bush's "House Nigga." Gary Trudeau showed President Bush calling her "Brown Sugar" in his Doonesbury comic strip. The fact that she doesn't make a really big deal out of these rude things that other politicians can get really strung up about shows how mature she is, and how she refuses to stoop to other people's level.

She has been listed on Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People list four times: only 3 people in the entire world have been on the list this many times.

Condoleeza refuses to deal with terrorists.

"We will not meet the challenges of the 21st century through military or any other means alone. Our national security requires the integration of our universal principles with all elements of our national power: our defense, our diplomacy, our development assistance, our democracy promotion efforts, free trade, and the good work of our private sector and society. And it is the State Department, more than any other agency of government, that is called to lead this work."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW, Rice is not opposed to affirmative action. As she put it, "I believe that while race-neutral means are preferable, it is appropriate to use race as one factor among others in achieving a diverse student body." Since pretty much all affirmative-action programs use race as just "one factor among others," Rice is basically saying affirmative action is OK. See here. And of course she is also, in her own words, "mildly pro-choice." Both these statements are fairly gutsy to make while serving in a Republican administration.

Just that much more reason to admire her.

--David

big.bald.dave said...

I agree that she is an impressive and admirable person, but Condoleeza Rice has been an awful secretary of state. She is a top architect and evangelist of the Bush administration's foreign policy, which has been (and continues to be) an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

Also, when she was National Security Advisor under Clinton, Richard Clarke (then Special Advisor to the National Security Council), George Tenet (Director of Central Intelligence), and Cofer Black (Tenet's deputy) all repeatedly warned Rice prior to 9/11 about the threat of an al-Qaeda attack on American soil, and Rice did absolutely nothing, not even open an investigation. I am certainly not going to defend Bill Clinton's anti-terrorism record, but having an NSA that ignores repeated requests for inquiry from the intelligence community doesn't help matters. And don't think I'm blaming 9/11 on Condi - that certainly isn't fair either; it was a failure of the entire administration to heed the warning signs.

Anyway, if Condoleeza Rice is McCain's running mate, that's just one more reason for me not to vote for him.

Amy said...

She already said that she wouldn't be a running mate for anyone, McCain or otherwise. I think she wants to go back to Stanford next year and be a political professor again.

I really like her, and I thought posting about her might spur some healthy political conversation. Personally I like her ideology for foreign affairs. Some of the execution has been a bit off, but I think the reasoning makes sense.

Stephanie said...

I greatly admire Condoleeza Rice (I don't like it when people call her "Condi". IMO, when I hear her called Condi, it is usually out of the mouth of a liberal who is using the nickname to marginalize her, like how people call Joseph Smith "Joe Smith" to marginalize him). I do find it ironic that the media (and left) is okay with the racial slurs and general marginilization of Condoleeza. If she were a Democrat, I think it would be different.

I would love it if Condoleeza ran for President. Based on what I know about her, I would vote for her!

big.bald.dave said...

Um, President Bush calls her Condi.

The Wizzle said...

I think she's a very classy lady. I think people call her Condi because her name is Condoleezza (geez, did I spell it right?! spellcheck is displeased). Honestly the fact that she's made it as far as she has under those circumstances is really, truly remarkable and I admire it very much.

Unlike Bush 43, she seems to have been successful in nearly everything she has touched, so I am inclined to give her more leeway for her foreign policies. If someone has proven themselves to generally be of sound mind and policies, then I am much more likely to trust that they have well-thought-out reasons for their views even if I do not necessarily agree with all of them.

I do love her low profile and No Drama Mama status. Hillary Clinton's personality is much less appealing to me, personally - for example.

Anonymous said...

BBD, I think it's unfair to blame Condi* for her performance as Sec of State. I think she's tried to implement bad policies that were her boss's, not her own. Unless you think a policy is SO bad you're willing to resign rather than try to implement it, the right thing to do is probably to stay on and try to make the best of things, and that's what I think she's consistently tried to do.

*I don't see anything disrespectful about calling her Condi. How's that any different than calling William Clinton "Bill" or James Carter "Jimmy."

--David

Amy said...

I don't know from personal experience, but I believe most of Condoleeza Rice's friends call her Condi.

Stephanie said...

Okay, sorry. On the news, I've heard people who are speaking of her in a disparaging way call her "Condi". I haven't noticed that in regular news reports. Regular news reporters seem to call her by her full name. I wasn't aware that her close friends referred to her as "Condi", so my bad. I apologize.

Anonymous said...

B.B.Dave, I find it interesting that you have such a dislike for Condoleeza. You said in another post, "Michelle Obama will make a impressive first lady". I would encourage you to dig a little deeper into Michelle, I think you'll find she makes Condoleeza look quite impressive.

I know Michelle is not a politician, but she sure will have an impact on Barrak's presidency, but certainly not a positive one. I would much rather have Condoleeza influencing the decisions of our President.

big.bald.dave said...

I *don't* have a dislike for Ms. Rice; I just think her work has been part of the problem in the current administration.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy - that was a nice post. Very informative. I agree with Anon-Dave that her affirmative action and mildly-pro choice stance is very gutsy for a Republican administration. The only issue I have with her is that she chose to throw her cards in with the Bush administration. I agree with what Dave said later down - that basically she was doing her best to make a good thing out of a bad administration. I'm not sure what she could have done better given the cards she was dealt. But she could have chosen to sit this particular game out. Also, Rachel, I like what you said about her low profile/personality - she is alot more likeable than Hillary, on a personal level.

Anonymous said...

On second examination, I feel that I was being too nice - her foreign policy (as it is that of the Bush administration) has the potential to drive this nation into the ground, making us the expressed enemies of the rest of the civilized world. It's highly concerning. My respect for her would be much higher if she did a 180 in that most important post that she has. Until then, my respect for her is limited to respecting her accomplishing a very fulfilled life despite circumstances that would have dictated otherwise.