My October 2008 LDS General Conference Top 10 List

When I was a kid, and even when I was in college, I thought LDS General Conference was sort of boring. Not anymore. There are so many interesting and scary things going on in the world now, that maybe that's why I'm so much more piqued by what LDS Church leaders have to say about them all.

Here are the top ten tidbits that I took away from October 2008 LDS General Conference.


President Monson - Be good citizens and neighbors and reach out to those of other faiths. So often we feel so pressed upon to be good missionaries that we don't take the time to appreciate the religious diversity that is around us, let alone the great people behind that diversity. A world with only Mormons would, I think, be kind of boring.

President Uchtdorf - Whether moving a grand piano from the chapel to the cultural hall, or serving in some other capacity, "Lift where you stand". Some people want to lead, while some people want to hide, whereas we should all be content to serve where we are called. I have a calling that I give about 75% of my effort to. I guess that makes me somewhat of a hider, because my excuse is often that I am too busy with the other things that I think are more important.

President Eyring - Skillful peacemakers search for anything on which opposing parties agree. I once served on a city council, and my overarching goal was to set an example of decorum. I have not been so successful in other areas of life, but in the council chambers I am happy to say that overall decorum improved markedly during my 5 1/2 years of service. As a blogger, I (usually) try to point out constructively and kindly how I might disagree with someone's point of view. I'm glad in some instances, however, that I have reviewed what I typed before I clicked the submit button!!

Elder Ballard - Our challenges are not any more severe than those of the early saints--they are just different. We're not required to walk across the continent for the church, but rather just across the street to share the gospel message with our neighbors. I'm getting better at "walking across the street". I find that if I imagine and pray about ways of introducing gospel topics to friends and acquaintences that those opportunities come along much more often.

Elder Hales - We should answer contention with kindness. We should communicate using such means as letters to newspaper editors and blog comments to correct errors of fact, but we should always be cordial. We should speak out to help others understand the truth, but never to score points or to defend our egos.

Elder Scott - Husbands should show respect to their wives by taking charge of Family Home Evening and other activities. We should pay them more compliments. Bishops should show more respect for the insights of women on the ward council. Priesthood leaders should respect women's opinions and perspectives as much as their husbands'. Men's condescending actions toward women, including sometimes husbands toward wives, are similar to their actions toward people of other races and cultures. They are sometimes well meaning, but they are not perceived that way. In any circumstance we should try to perceive how we would feel if we were talking like that to ourselves. If a woman is as capable as a man of doing a job, she should be paid as much as the man would be paid.

President Monson - Told the story of the father who cancelled an emergency business appointment because 'the circus keeps coming back, but childhood doesn't. Also said that the fingerprints on those things around the home that you have just cleaned will disappear all too soon, so cherish them while they're there. My wife and I, as part of being debt-free (knock on wood!!) have discovered that we have more means to make memories with our children. Our youngest will turn 9 in a couple of weeks, and we're starting to wonder how so much of it has already passed us by.

Elder Cook - With the current economic crisis, there is great concern throughout the world. There will in the future be more lean years as well as plentiful years, but if we're prepared in either event, everything will be alright for us. Along these lines, President Monson encouraged us to be self-sufficient so that we can come to the aid of those over whom we have responsibility when they are in economic hard times. Considering the current economic situation, my wife and I talked yesterday that we are so glad that we avoided the temptation to buy a bigger home, because had we done so, we would have become so preoccupied with our own situation that we would have been much less able to help and serve others.

President Packer - During July 24th, 1849 celebration, the Saints in the Salt Lake Valley celebrated their patriotism to the United States despite the fact that Congress had not come to their assistance when they were losing $2 million in property and had otherwise been been persecuted for their faith. It occurred to me like it hadn't before that in some small way we can relate to blacks, women, and other minority populations who have not always been included in the group of "all men [who] are created equal", yet we understand the genius of America's founding documents and continue to use our liberties to strive for freedom and justice for all.

Bishop McMullin - Told the story of Chinese official who visited LDS Welfare Square and was so impressed with the integrity of the Church that he paid his fast offering in a "red pocket" envelope. He said "If the world loved like this, it would be a much better place." Government diplomacy may or may not be the best solution to any adversarial situation, but it has worked very well for the Church over the years. In a plethora of circumstances, including President Monson's story of how the example of Julius Fuseg of Poland caused Polish leaders to welcome the LDS Church into that country with open arms.

Which principles and anecdotes were your favorites?

This article was published in similar form on My Two Mormon Cents.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for this post, Frank. I really enjoyed conference. Overall, I felt that the whole tone of the conference was "We are in perilous times. Life is hard. Life is difficult. Have faith. Have hope. Endure to the end. Your covenants will keep you safe". That's my conference in a nutshell. I felt that a lot of the talks were designed to bring comfort to the faithful, not necessarily call us to repentance. Also, I felt a great sense of "coming" to Zion and building up Zion.

My top 10 (briefly):

1. (From the RS meeting last week) - Elder Uchtdorf - Creating and being compassionate are two objectives that contribute to our Heavenly Father’s perfect happiness. Creating and being compassionate are two activities that we as His spirit children can and should emulate.

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty.


2. Elder Perry - In our quest to relieve stress, simplify our lives. There are spiritual benefits to a simplified life.

3. Elder Uchtdorf (I love this man, and he looks just like my father-in-law. One of my sons said, "Look! It's grandpa!") - Hope's absence can make the heart sick . . . We cultivate hope the same way we walk - one step at a time. Faith, hope, and charity - as one increases, the others follow.

4. Elder Wirthlin - things to do to be happy: 1. Laugh (as a result, anger and resentment have no place). 2. Seek for the eternal. 3. Understand the principle of compensation - the Lord compensates for every loss. Come what may and love it.

5. Elder Christofferson - As we pursue the cause of Zion, we need to prayerfully consider whether we are doing all we need to do . . . Materialism is just one more manifestation of idolatry and pride in Babylon. Perhaps we can be content with minimal needs. Let us look after one another the very best we can . . . Babylon the great is falling. Come to Zion.

6. Amen to Elder Eyring (already quoted by Frank)

7. Elder Hales - (speaking of responding to aggressive challenges to our faith) surely Heavenly Father is sad and the devil laughs when we contend with others . . . Our intent must be to lift others and help them find the truth, not vindicate ourselves or our ego. Sometimes true disciples show Christian courage by not saying anything at all. Don't come down off the mountain and argue in the mud.

8. President Monson - Find joy in the journey NOW . . . Fill our days with those things that matter most.

9. Boyd K. Packer talked about teaching patriotism to our posterity.

10. Elder Nelson - Some marriage options are cunningly crafted by the adversary.

The Faithful Dissident said...

Frank,

Thanks for a nice post. I was relieved that Nelson's talk in the Sunday afternoon session wasn't included in your list. It was one of the few talks in history that I would dare to call "dreadful." I thought the rhetoric he used was insensitive, demeaning, and missing the point of trying to build up members. And apparently I'm not the only one who felt about 2 inches tall after hearing it. If anyone is interested, you can read my personal commentary here and then the reaction from other members who were also listening.

Frank Staheli said...

Stephanie,

You reminded me! I LOVED Elder Wirthlin's reminder and talk about learning to laugh. My family is great about that, but when I drive on the freeway...let's just say I got a lot of improvin' to do!

;-)

FD,

I guess I agree. I didn't like the 'standard of perfection' that I thought E Nelson was trying to set, but he did redeem himself a bit by saying that if you don't at first get married in the temple you can "upgrade" your marriage later.

The other talk that I had some trouble with (if I think "should" instead of "must", I doesn't bug me so bad) was E Oaks's talk about the sacrament. I don't suppose such talks are intended to come across as condescending and unfeeling, but I think they did come across that way.

Stephanie said...

Well, I liked both of those talks. Getting a lot out of sacrament meeting is not one of my strong points (with my husband on the stand, I have to deal with four little, active boys all by myself). But, in listening to the talk, I realized that I could probably get more out of sacrament meeting if I make more of an effort.

I thought Elder Nelson's talk was a pretty good way to address why the church does not support same sex marriage. In particular, he said, all church activities are means to the ends of an exalted family . . . The earth was created and the church was restored so families could be formed and sealed. That kind of put it all into perspective for me.

He also repeated the same thing that he said last conference: Salvation is an individual matter, but exaltation is a family matter. I think this must be "his cause" right now (like Elder Bednar gave another talk on prayer this conference).

Anonymous said...

What a great post Frank! I loved those highlights you mentioned, they were enlightened and inspiring (there are definitely a lot of things I need to work on!). FD I see your point, and I definitely understand where you are coming from. I think the point of that talk was to drive home the importance of marriage, and the gift of Temple marriage, although I would have loved to hear it from a President Hinckley point of view (he was so eloquent and loving, never judgemental). I hope that everyone left feeling inspired where inspiration was given, and knowing that we are loved for who we are, and can feel that love more fully when we seek to be close to our Savior through our actions.

Stephanie said...

FD, I can appreciate how Elder Nelson's talk was offensive to you. Perhaps the same message could have been given with words/images that aren't as insulting. However, in the face of the attack on traditional marriage, I can also appreciate how he needed to use strong language and images to convey the importance of temple marriage. He said:

My purpose in speaking out on this topic is to declare as an apostle of the Lord that marriage between a man and a woman is sacred. It is ordained of God. I also assert the virtue of a temple marriage. It is the highest and most enduring type of marriage that our Creator can offer to his children.

If our church truly teaches that a temple marriage (sealing) is the only type of marriage that will endure after death, then he can't really say that any other type of marriage does. Again, perhaps he could have said it more gently, but I don't think he could have delivered a different core message.

I also feel that perhaps some of the gentleness of President Hinckley's presidency is over. Given Sister Beck's talk, Elder Nelson's talk, etc. I feel more of a sense of stark reality coming from church leaders. More of a sense of "It's time to tell it like it is" with regard to church practices and standards. Could just be me.

Again, FD, I am sorry you were hurt by the talk, and I hope that my comments didn't add to it.

The Faithful Dissident said...

Stephanie, no, I'm not hurt by your comments. And in a way I'm not even really "hurt" by Nelson's talk because it's not the first time I've encountered a tactless message from Church leaders. So instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'd rather concentrate on giving a voice to those who find themselves in a similar situation to my own, and encouraging them to stay, as difficult and as pointless as it can feel sometimes.

I don't think any of us disagreed with the core message as much as we did with the rhetoric. I think all of us will agree that Celestial marriage is the ideal, that we should all be living to be worthy of it (even if we don't have it), and that common-law alternatives are something that we should definitely avoid. The problem is that his talk was utterly lacking in any understanding and compassion for those who find themselves outside the realm of temple marriage, often at no fault of their own. I sometimes get the feeling that GA's forget that Utah isn't worldwide. Not every place in the world has a "meatmarket" of eligible LDS singles to enjoy. The Church in Norway is a good example of that, because if you want to get married here, you almost have to marry outside of the Church, unless you get really really lucky. I can think of one young sister in particular who is probably feeling pretty disheartened after hearing that talk. She dated a non-member for 5 years but broke up with him when they were seriously talking marriage and the boyfriend was not prepared to convert. Now she has a new boyfriend, once again a non-member. There's nothing else, so what's a young person supposed to do?

It's a shame when we feel scared to let our non-member friends and family members watch General Conference with us. Thank goodness my husband wasn't watching Nelson's talk with me because it would have been very uncomfortable and you can wonder how any non-member would not come away from it feeling totally offended and turned off by Mormons.

Frank Staheli said...

FD,

You gave excellent examples to illustrate how and why Elder Nelson could have been a bit more tactful. His talk was slightly similar to some over the years that come across as (and this itself will come across way more brash than I intend) "you're not smart enough to use the atonement if you make a mistake, so if you make a mistake you're doomed". Obviously that's not what is meant, but that's often what is taken away by the listener.

I think the Church would be less offensive to a ton of people who are definitely trying if its leaders could be more compassionate in this regard. I did, by the way, think that Elder Scott's talk about respect for women was a watershed event along these lines.

Here are a couple other things I noticed that seemed to--or might--be a bit provincial:

1) President Packer referred to the Salt Lake Valley as "the valley" when referring to the July 24th, 1849 celebration in Salt Lake City. Most people knew exactly what he was talking about, but some surely didn't.

2) Elder Jay Jensen(?) and Elder Oaks referring to young men wearing white shirts with ties when administering the sacrament. This one simply made me wonder if there are societies (Persia, Arabia perhaps?) where something other than a white shirt and tie would show the same amount (or more) devotion and unity...?

P.S. I just read the book "Odds Are You're Going to Be Exalted" by Alonzo Gaskill, which has dramatically re-informed my thinking on this subject.

The Faithful Dissident said...

Frank,

I agree with you. That's exactly what I was getting at, that some talks lack compassion and tact. A commenter on my blog felt that I had "crossed the line" and engaged in an "attack on an apostle" and that I was being "disrespectful" towards Elder Nelson. I didn't feel that I had because I wasn't critiquing Elder Nelson as a man, his worthiness as an apostle, or even the core message of his talk. I did, however, feel that my criticisms of the language he used to deliver that message were justified. I suppose that alone is enough to be "crossing the line" in the eyes of many Mormons, but it's not like I'm denouncing the man, the Church, or even the doctrine. I just wish there was a way to give a talk about something without alienating and offending many of members and non-members alike. Especially about a subject that tends to a very sensitive one. I've heard plenty of talks about temple marriage and its importance, without the doom and gloom, and I have absolutely no objection to them.

The issue about white shirts and ties and how it applies in other cultures reminds me about the issue of tattoos and piercings, which of course are discouraged. I agree that in western society, such things are not generally regarded as "pretty" and although they're not a big deal to me personally, I can understand why it can be very wise to heed the counsel to avoid them. But I remember reading one talk by someone... it may have even been Pres. Hinckley, but I'm not sure... who referred to them as "ugly" and couldn't understand why any decent boy or girl would want to get a piercing, multiple ear piercings or a tattoo. It made me think about some of the Asian and African cultures and how it would sound to them. Think of some Indian women who tattoo a red spot on their foreheads, pierce their noses, or certain tribes in Africa and Asia who extend their necks by wrapping metal rings around their necks, or who have huge ear lobes because of their heavy and multiple ear piercings. For a white person to walk down the streets of Salt Lake City, it would appear "ugly," and yet to them it's "beautiful." It made me wonder how they would feel if they someday converted to Mormonism and heard the leaders talking about how "ugly" some of their traditions are.

Stephanie said...

I was complaining to my husband a bit before conference about my "lot" as a woman in the church. I said, "I know YOU aren't sexist or trying to marginalize me, but sometimes I feel that it happens in the church". He came home and said I would love Elder Scott's talk. I can't wait to read it when it comes out. All the sessions are available to view except the Priesthood session. I am waiting patiently.

Anonymous said...

As I read both of your posts I was thinking back to when Lehi and perhaps Samuel the Lamanite were preaching and prophesying. How were their teachings taken. Somehow I think there were many in the audience that were pretty much agreeing with what they said but were critical of them and how they said it. They were just people.